GST Registration Online- Documents, Fees, Status & Certificate
Get GST Registration Online
We have helped a lot of proprietors, partnerships, and companies in obtaining GST Registration online. We provide a free consultation in the initial stage of business.
After obtaining registration, you will receive a GST Registration certificate, First Login details, Invoice Format, Debit and Credit Note format, HSN/SAC manual, and an initial advisory on how to be GST compliant to avoid any penalties in the future.
No need to worry about GST returns after obtaining registration. We never forget about newly registered clients.
You can contact us via Whatsapp, Phone, E-mail, and the form provided alongside.
GST Registration Online
How to register for GST online?
To register for GST an application can be made online by submitting it on the GST portal. Before directly moving towards how a taxpayer is registered in GST, let’s first discuss each aspect step by step.
Who all are required to register for GST?
Under GST, businesses whose aggregate turnover exceeds Rs. 40 lakhs* (Rs 10 lakhs for Northeast and hill states known as special category states ) are required to register as a normal taxable person. This process of registration under GST is called GST registration.
However, for some businesses registration under GST is compulsory. If the organization carries on business without registering under GST, it will be an offense under GST and heavy penalties will apply.
GST registration takes 3 to 6 days, and in case of any objection. The department communicates with you directly to resolve the objection.
CBIC has notified the increase in threshold turnover from Rs 20 lakhs to Rs 40 lakhs. The notification will come into effect from 1st April 2019. Some states have opted for a new limit, while some are following the old limit only.
What is compulsory registration in GST?
The following persons are required to compulsory register in GST.
- Persons making an interstate taxable supply.
- Casual taxable persons making taxable supply.
- Persons who are required to pay tax under reverse charge.
- Non Resident taxable persons making taxable supply.
- Persons who make taxable supply of goods and services or both on behalf of other taxable persons whether as an agent or otherwise.
- Every E-commerce operators
- Persons who are supplying goods and services through an e-commerce operator(Amazon, Flipkart) who is required to collect tax collected at source.
- Persons who are required to deduct TDS under Section 51, whether or not registered under this act.
- Input service distributor.
- All other persons who are providing OIDAR (Online Information Database Access and retrieval services) from a place outside India to a person in India, other than a registered person.
Do I need GST to sell online on Amazon, Flipkart?
Yes, you need GST Registration if you have crossed the threshold limit of Rs. 20 lakh aggregate turnover to sell online. In case, limit not exceeded then registration not required but most of the E-Commerce operators require GST Registration before starting selling online, for instance: Flipkart, Amazon.
Is GST registration mandatory for exempted services?
Section 23 of CGST Act,2017 deals with persons not liable for GST Registration. The following persons are not required to register in GST.
- Engaged in the exclusive supply of goods and services or both that are not liable to tax or are wholly exempt from tax.
- An agriculturist, to the extent of supply of produce out of cultivation of land.
- Persons who are only engaged in making supplies on which tax liable to be paid under reverse charge basis.
- Any person who turnover does not exceed specified limits.
Why GST number is important?
GST number is quite important in case you want to start your business. The few advantages of GST registration are listed below.
- Legal recognition
- Eligibility to avail Input tax credit
- Legal Authorization to collect tax and to pass on the credit
- Getting eligible to avail various other benefits and privileges under GST
What is the time limit for GST registration?
- A person liable to be registered shall apply within 30 days from the date on which he becomes liable.
- A casual taxable person or a non-resident taxable person to apply for registration at least 5 days prior to commencement of business.
- A person making supply from the territorial waters of India to obtain registration in the coastal state or Union territory where the nearest point of the appropriate baseline is located.
- Also, a person having a unit in Special Economic Zone shall have to apply for separate registration, as distinct from his place of business located outside the Special economic zone in the same state or union territory.
What are the documents required for GST registration?
The documents for the GST registration process include a
- PAN card
- Proof of business registration identity
- Photographs and address proof of persons in charge.
- Business’ address proof
- Bank account statements/Cancelled Cheque/ An extract from Passbook
What is address proof for GST registration?
- Consent letter (In case of consented or shared premises)
- Electricity Bill
- Legal Ownership document
- Municipal Khata copy
- Property Tax Receipt
- Rent/Lease Agreement
- Rent receipt with NOC (In case of no/expired agreement)
Always attach a consent letter with the electricity bill or any other ownership document, otherwise, the application will not be accepted.
The central government does not charge any fee for GST registration.
Is a Current account required for the GST registration process?
Bank account details can be added later on after registration has been granted. For proprietors, a savings account can be added also. So, it’s not mandatory to add a Current account before registering for GST.
Is Pan necessary to register for GST?
Permanent account number forms the part of GST number. The next ten digits after the first two digits of the GST number form part of PAN only. A person shall have a PAN in order to be eligible for a grant of registration.
However, these are the exceptions.
- A person required to deduct TDS
- A Non-resident taxable person
How to register for GST?
Under Rule 8, Procedure for application for registration.
- Applicability: Every person seeking voluntary registration, a person paying tax under composition levy, the casual taxable person
- Application and declaration of information should be made in Form GST REG-01.
- Information to be furnished in Common portal (PART -A) like PAN, Mobile number, E-mail address, State or Union territory.
- Verification of information declared shall be made by the GST department.
- On successful verification, a TRN( Temporary Reference Number) shall be granted.
- Electronic submission of Application of in Part B of Form GST REG-01 duly signed through Digital signature or verified via EVC (OTP)
- The acknowledgment shall be issued electronically to the applicant in Form GST REG-02.
- The status of the GST application can be checked using the ARN number.
Issue of GST Registration certificate in Form GST REG-06
- An applicant shall be issued with a certificate of registration in Form GST REG-06 and a goods and services tax identification number (GSTN) of 15 digit number shall be assigned.
- Certificate of Registration shall be signed or verified EVC by the proper officer.
What will be the effective date of registration?
The effective date of registration:
|Application filed from liability date||Registration effective from|
|Within 30 days||The date on which the person becomes liable for registration|
|Not within 30 days||Date of Grant of registration|
Is the GST number mandatory on the name board?
Display of Registration certificate and GSTIN on the name board at the entry and in a prominent location at his principal place of business and additional place of business.
The GSTIN should be displayed in bold letters so as to be easily visible to visitors especially to the customers and vendors.
What is voluntary GST registration?
A person who is not liable to be registered under Section 22(Normal GST registration) or Section 24 (Casual taxable person) may get himself registered voluntarily. In the case of voluntary registration, all provisions of this Act, are as applicable to a registered person, shall apply to a voluntarily registered person.
What are the advantages of voluntary registration under GST?
- In the case of an inverted tax structure (that is output tax rate is lower than the input tax rate), it’s beneficial to get registered and pay tax liability and avail of an input tax credit.
- Customers may prefer or even insist to deal only with a registered business. This particularly when customers are GST registered as such customer will fall under reverse charge if his vendors or supplier is unregistered.
- Some businesses such as contractors may decide to register to avoid an embarrassment caused by revealing the fact that their annual taxable supply is below the threshold limit of Rs. 20 lakhs.
What is Suo Moto registration in GST?
- Proper officer finds that a person liable for registration has failed to register for GST.
- Temporary registration shall be ordered in FORM GST REG-12. It shall be effective from the date of the order granting registration.
- Application for registration to be made within 90 days from the date of the grant of such temporary registration.
- In case of an appeal against the grant of temporary registration, then the application for registration shall be submitted within 30 days from the date of issuance of the order upholding the liability to registration.
What is an amendment of GST registration?
The fields viz core fields and non-core fields in GST registration can be amended later on after the certificate of registration has been granted.
- Intimation of any changes in the information furnished to be made to the proper officer within 15 days.
- Amendments in the noncore field can be made directly on the common portal but approval is required for amendment in the core fields.
The effective date of amendment in registration can be earlier than the date of submission of the application for amendment only when the commissioner orders the same for reasons to be recorded in writing.
How do I amend core fields in GST registration?
Permission of proper officer required if the change relates to core fields of information such as
- The legal name of the business
- Address of Principal and additional place of business
- Addition, deletion, or retirement of Partners or Directors, Karta, Managing Committee, Board of Trustees, Chief Executive Officer or equivalent responsible for the day to day affairs of the business.
Change of such particulars shall be applicable for all registartions of a registered person obtained under provisions of this chapter on same PAN.
The proper officer may approve or reject amendments in the registration particulars. Any rejection or approval of amendments under SGST or UTGST act shall be deemed to be a rejection or approval under CGST.
Mobile no./ E-mail address of authorised signatory can be amended only after online verification through GST portal.
Important clarifications regarding GST registration
Subject: Registration in case of participants of long-running exhibitions by a casual taxable person for more than 180 days. Whether treated as a casual taxable person or a normal taxable person?
- The taxable person cannot be treated as a casual taxable person and thus person shall be required to obtain registration as a casual taxable person.
- He shall upload a copy of the allotment letter granting him permission to use the premises for the exhibition.
- The allotment letter/consent letter shall be treated as a proper document for proof as a place of business.
- He can surrender registration once the exhibition is over and would not be required to pay advance tax for registration.
Subject: Whether homestays providing accommodation through an electronic commerce operator below threshold limit are exempt from registering for GST?
- Ecommerce operators are liable to pay GST in case a threshold limit of 20 lakh not exceeded and Rs 10 lakhs in a special category states and thus not required to take registration.
- Even though they provide services via E-commerce operators they are not required to take registration.
Subject: Whether the change in the ownership of the business to include a change in ownership due to the death of the sole proprietor?
- Section 29(1)(a) of the CGST act provides that the reason for the transfer of business includes “death of proprietor” and it will include a change in ownership due to the death of the proprietor.
FAQ on GST Registration
Yes, you yourself can register for GST by visiting the official GST portal – https://www.gst.gov.in/ and by clicking on the “Services” button on the top bar and then clicking on “Registration”. The registration process starts or you can take help from us by writing to us at [email protected] or filling the form above.
Step 1: Click on the “Services” button on the top bar
Step 2: Click on the “Registration” button in the drop-down menu
Step 3: Now, click on “New Registration” if registering for the first time
Step 4: Fill in Part A and Part B
Step 5: GST registration will be granted within 2 to 6 days.
Yes, the GST registration is free. The government does not charge any amount as registration fees. You can register anytime from anywhere.
Bank details can be added later on now via amending the non-core fields in the form. Earlier there was a requirement to add bank details. A pop-up will appear to add bank details after you have registered every time you log in to amend the form.
When the registration certificate is granted to the taxpayer, the taxpayer is liable to pay GST on outward supplies made during the period. The normal returns (GSTR-3B and GSTR-1) start from the month GST registration is granted. Many taxpayers fail to file their returns after taking registration and end up paying a large amount of late fees.